Why does the BMW crankhub end up failing and how does the crank hub work?
If you know about the BMW lifestyle, you probably know about rod bearings and crank hubs. We put together an article that shares why the crankhub failure happens, along with the best pricing for a replacement crankhub in 2023. Shop below to check out the prices of crank hubs and more parts for your car.
Save on the entire Bmwmpower247 website with our discount code!
See pricing above. Use discount code “M3List” at checkout to save money on your crankhub!
Unmasking the Achilles’ Heel: The BMW F80 M3 Crankhub Failure
The BMW F80 M3 is a legendary sports car that combines power, precision, and luxury in one exhilarating package. However, beneath the beauty and performance lies a notorious issue that has plagued many enthusiasts – the crankhub failure. In this blog post, we’ll delve into what the crankhub failure is, why it occurs in the BMW F80 M3, and what owners can do to prevent or address this issue.
Understanding the Crankhub Failure
The crankhub is a crucial component in the engine of the BMW F80 M3, connecting the crankshaft to the camshaft and controlling the timing of the engine’s valves. In simpler terms, it plays a pivotal role in ensuring the engine’s optimal performance and smooth operation. However, over time, the crankhub in some F80 M3s has been prone to a catastrophic failure.
Why Does It Happen?
The primary cause of the crankhub failure in the F80 M3 lies in the design and materials used. BMW initially used a pressed-on crankhub design that, under certain conditions, could become detached from the crankshaft. This detachment results in a misalignment of the engine’s timing components, leading to severe engine damage, including bent valves and damaged pistons. The issue became more apparent in higher-powered competition and track-oriented variants of the F80 M3.
Prevention and Solutions
- Regular Maintenance: Regular maintenance, including oil changes and inspections, is crucial to catching potential issues early. Keeping the engine in good health can help reduce the risk of crankhub failure.
- Upgraded Crankhub: Many BMW enthusiasts have opted for aftermarket crankhub solutions that are more robust and less prone to failure. These upgraded crankhubs are designed to provide better reliability and peace of mind for high-performance applications.
- Timing Chain Replacement: In some cases, it’s advisable to replace the timing chain and other related components when addressing the crankhub issue. This comprehensive approach ensures the long-term health of the engine.
- Engine Tuning Considerations: For owners planning to modify their F80 M3 for increased performance, it’s essential to consider the potential strain on the crankhub. Consult with experts who specialize in BMW performance upgrades to minimize risks.
- Regular Inspections: If you own an F80 M3, it’s wise to have the crankhub and related components inspected regularly, especially if your vehicle falls within the known risk range.
The BMW F80 M3 is an exceptional sports car, but its crankhub issue has cast a shadow over its reputation. While the problem is not universal, it’s crucial for owners and enthusiasts to be aware of the potential risks and take preventative measures to safeguard their beloved M3s. Whether through regular maintenance, upgrades, or diligent inspections, BMW F80 M3 owners can enjoy the thrilling driving experience this car offers while minimizing the risks associated with crankhub failure. Ultimately, knowledge and proactive care are the keys to ensuring your F80 M3 remains a symbol of performance excellence.
Discount code “M3List” saves on their entire website and on your next crank hub purchase. Good luck with your car journey!